Hearty Lentil Quinoa Vegetarian Stew
Lentil Quinoa Stew
Our family lives in the "Frozen Tundra" that is Wisconsin. So we enjoy this hearty stew especially in the cold winter months.
Lentil Quinoa Stew Ingredients
- 2 Tbs Oil (I use grape seed oil)
- 1/2 Onion, chopped
- 1 Stalk Celery, chopped
- 2 Carrots, chopped
- 1 Garlic clove, minced (Or 1/8 tsp garlic powder if you don't have fresh garlic.)
- 1/2 tsp Oregano
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1/4 tsp Onion powder
- 1/8 tsp Ground pepper
- 1 tsp Salt (I use Real Salt)
- 1 Bay leaf
- 5 Cups Water or Vegetable broth (I used a combination of water left from steaming broccoli and plain water.)
- 1 Tbs Tomato paste
- 1/2 Cup Quinoa, uncooked, rinsed
- 1/2 Cup Lentils, uncooked, rinsed
- 1/2 Cup green beans, lightly steamed and chopped
Lentil Quinoa Stew Instructions
- In a large soup pot, warm the oil and raw veggies (onion, celery, carrots, garlic) for 2 minutes.
- Add spices and stir.
- Add water or broth, then tomato paste, then quinoa, and then lentils.
- Bring to a boil then turn down the heat to a simmer.
- Cover and let simmer for 20 minutes with lid tilted.
- Add green beans.
- Turn off burner and let sit, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Serve warm.
Next time, I want to see what it would be like to warm only the onion, carrots, and garlic for the 2 minutes and then add the celery when the green beans are to go in after the 20 minute simmering time. We don't like to cook our veggies until they're soft, so this may work better for us.
My mom gave me a great hint about tomato paste. When I open a can, take out what I need and immediately put the rest in a little sandwich bag and stick it in the freezer. That way, it won't go bad before I need it again!
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Share One of Your Favorite Vegetarian Quinoa Recipes.
Sep 13, 14 10:05 AM
Quinoa recipes for kids -- nutrition that kids will love!
Aug 29, 14 07:17 AM
These are great hot off the griddle! Even try adding herbs like basil or garlic powder for extra flavor.The chia seeds add nutrition. But if you don't
Aug 27, 14 07:11 AM
Add some nutritious quinoa to your daily bread with these unique quinoa bread recipes.
Sign-up for Our Quarterly Quinoa Update!